Personal, social, health and economic education (PSHE) and Citizenship enable boys to become healthy, independent and responsible members of society.
We encourage our pupils to contribute to the life of the school and the wider community whilst developing their sense of self-worth. We teach them how society is organised and governed and about rights and responsibilities. They learn to appreciate what it means to be a positive member of a diverse society, having respect for other people, paying particular regard to all the protected characteristics listed in the Equality Act 2010.
Each pupil should be respected as an individual and his self-confidence, independence and self-esteem promoted. We are keen to liaise with parents enlisting their co-operation, interest and support in order to promote a happy working partnership in trust.
PSHE aims to teach the children to:
1. know how to keep themselves safe – within school, in the wider community and online;
2. take care of their own and others’ physical and mental health
3. understand what makes for good relationships with others;
4. have respect for others - particularly showing a tolerance of, and harmony between, different cultural traditions through appreciation of their own and other cultures and the understanding that the freedom to hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law;
5. be independent and responsible members of the school community;
6. be positive and active members of a democratic society – understanding the need for participation in a democratic process and respect for the basis on which law is made in modern Britain;
7. develop self-confidence and self-esteem, and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues – enabling pupils to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of Britain:
8. develop good relationships with other members of the school and the wider community – in particular, identifying and challenging discriminatory behaviour.
9. be prepared for the next stage of their education and for adulthood